Monday, December 7, 2009

Lima, Peru

After 2 long, exhausting flights from San Francisco and El Salvador, we arrived in Lima, Peru yesterday. We got a taxi and arrived at our hostel, the Bluehouse Backpackers Hostel. Knowing we would be arriving on very little sleep, I had made reservations for a private room at this place 2 weeks ago. Getting there we find that everyone speaks very little English. But we do figure out is that they don't have a private room for us until the next night. They take us to a dorm room with 6 beds. The room is honestly the most disgusting room we've come across yet. It smelt of mold, the floor was covered in mold stains, the beds had clearly not been changed in quite some time and there was no lock for the door. I was so pissed at this place, mainly because of the reviews I had read. Everyone claimed it was "the best." I told Josh I refused to stay here, it was unacceptable. Maybe it was the lack of sleep but I had no patience for this. We left to find another room and came across the Lex Luthor's House which was 10 times better.

Seeing that it was Sunday and Josh was feeling deprived of NFL, we found the Corner Sportsbar to watch some football. It was full of other American's and quickly we felt at home. There we tv's on every wall and every game was playing, it was hard to focus on just one game. But because we were both so tired, we left early to take a nap. Later we found ourselves back at the bar to watch the Vikings play. Tonight we're dedicating the night to Packer football, another thing Josh has mentioned many times today. He's so excited!

Tomorrow we fly to Cusco and have our orientation meeting for the Machu Picchu trek. We're both pretty excited for this. It's the start of something new but also the finish to our entire travels. I can't believe we only have 11 days left and we're home. It's gone by so fast.

No comments: